Re: timing

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>, "Barrie Robinson" <barrier@bconnex.net>
Subject: Re: timing
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 00:56:51 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Now here is the kind of common sense evidence that I was looking for.  You are
exactly right, I have never seen evidence of significant water influx through
the header holes.  while they may not be 'low' pressure areas, the wheel wells
must certainly be lower pressure then the engine bay.

Your comments about water spray are harder to interpret though, as the water
is not set into motion until the tire throws it into the air.  If we could get
a car into a fog or smoke situation it might be possible to visualize where
the airflow is really occurring, but I'm not sure.

The last bit of evidence is that modern lemans prototype cars all have louvers
in the rear of the wheel wells, presumably to smooth airflow over the body, I
think this lends support to the existence of high pressure in the wheel wells
but since air is being ducted in to cool the brakes, maybe that doesn't tell
us anything.  What we need is an automotive aerodynamicist but I think that if
we had one he'd have spoken up by now.  Maybe he is laughing so hard at all of
our conjecture that he can't type?

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8