Re: timing

To: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>, "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: timing
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:04:51 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
James,

One of my concerns when building an MGB GT V8 was to ensure that the engine
did not overheat.  I had heard so many comments on V8s running hot because
of the cramped engine bay.  So I got Australian headers that went through
the wheel arch, D & D Fabrication "heavy duty" radiator and I squeezed in a
14 inch 2,950 cfm Perma-cool puller electric rad fan.   The latter achieved
by a special 3" water pump instead of the standard 4".  But in my travels I
think I heard that wheel wells were low pressure so that engine air would
be sucked out through the holes for the exhaust header.  This seems
reasonable as the "hole" is at right angles to the air flow.  In other
words the air travels over the hole not into it.   This would then cause a
decrease in pressure in the wheel arch?   If you watch cars in the rain
does not the water spray out of the wheel arch not into it? Also if the
wheel arches were high pressure then the rain and dirt would be blown into
the engine through the wheel arch holes and this would be very obvious to a
runner of a V8.

Maybe someone can check the theory?

Regards
Barrie