Re: Canoes and MGs

To: mgs4dave@warwick.net
Subject: Re: Canoes and MGs
From: Gary Burrell <garyb@pentek.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 15:12:36 -0400
Dave Houser wrote:

> Gary,
> As a design engineer, here's a suggestion.
> I had a similiar problem regarding the carrying of a kayak with the B
> and thought of building two vertical extensions up from the front and
> rear bumpers ending in a "U" or "V" shape. There could be a connecting
> aluminum bar that ties the two together with bolts. The kayak would be
> attached with a tiedown and be carried above the car, no problemo.
> What think? Give you any ideas other than a trailer?
>
> Good Luck,
> Dave Houser
> Graphic engineer
Dave,

I had thought of doing something like that, but also thought of
several problems:

1) where/how to attach the vertical extentions whithout marking
up the car or leaving visable mounting points.

2) Front to back stability ( which can be solved by the front to
back brace)

3) Visibility/Legality of the vertical extentions, especially
in the front.

I had also thought of adding a bracket onto my luggage rack
that attached both front and back on the luggage rack and
stuck up in the are sort of in a trangle shape:

Side view                       Back View
                /\              =========
Backet =>      /  \             |       |
Rack

But I was still left with the problem of what to
do in the front.

Still Thinking
Gary

--