Re: Canoes and MGs

To: garyb@pentek.com
Subject: Re: Canoes and MGs
From: Dave Houser <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:14:52 +0000
Gary,
I think you can make this work.
To answer your concerns:
1- Just checked my 64 B and if you drill a hole through the front and
rear bumper support bars, I believe you can bolt on a flange that the
uprights can attach to without marring the bumpers at all.
2- the front to back brace does this.
3- I don't believe a single approx. 1x1" bar coming up from the middle
of the front of the car will cause any legal problems. I notice lots
of people driving from lumber stores with more rope tied to the front
and back of their cars that effects vision more.
4- The setup I'm envisioning goes like this: from the front flanges
that come out under the front and rear bumpers, you attach an aluminum
cross member that goes in front of the bumpers. This has a square
tubed upright(welded) centrally located that rises approx. 4". You
slide another square piece over this and bolt through. This is the
same for the front and back and are the uprights that will be higher
than the top of the windshield glass. The crossmember is a straight
piece of aluminum square tubing with a "Y at each end(welded). Again
the bottom of the "Y" slips over the upright vertical coming up from
the front and rear and is bolted through. There you have it, a
lightweight, structural strong carrier. Tiedowns for the canoe/kayak
would probably attach to the brace and probably under each of the
fender wells using a rubber coated S-hook to protect the paint.

Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get refinements from the group.
Make 2 sets, one for you know who. :>D

Dave Houser