Re: OD engagement light

To: car <car@intersatx.net>
Subject: Re: OD engagement light
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:18:00 -0800 (PST)
I don't understand the reasoning here... Someone butchers a B by bypassing a
safety switch which protects the od from the driver carelessly engaging it
at the wrong time and you all assume that it is an ordeal to operate the
overdrive because you can damage it by operating it without the switch. It's
a $15 switch! Replace it and move on... How hard is 1,2,3,4,switch OD. It
even automatically takes it's self out of overdrive when you shift down into
2nd (if you forget). Do you shift into reverse after 3rd? Forget to push in
the clutch when you shift? That would ruin things too. But you don't do
that, do you? I'm sorry to go on a rant like this but I am tired of people
complaining about having to wire a light bulb into their od harness because
they won't buy a $15 switch that is has failed after 20 years of service and
is supposed to be installed and are too dull to remember that they have
flipped an od switch. This is the origin of the DPO!

If you plan on improperly connecting the electronics on an od in such a way
as to bypass the safety features and not have the presence of mind to know
when you flip the od switch than you not only do not want an od, you do not
deserve one. Complicated would be taking your foot off the gas, engaging the
clutch, pulling out of 4th, shifting into 5th and disengaging the clutch
while matching the engine rpm with the proper amount of gas pedal pressure.
A "marvel" would be flipping a switch and having all this done for you but
unfortunately you still have to know when to do it which seems to be beyond
some of the list members.

I will be accepting flames directly at creichle@nsc.msmail.miami.edu as to
not clutter the list with more personal attachs like I have been seeing so
frequently on the list. I do not mean this as a personal attach on any one
person (especially not NORY, your just getting bad info) just the dpos that
complain when their hacks cause problems giving others an unjustified fear
of doing things like installing an od.

Chris Reichle
creichle@nsc.msmail.miami.edu