Re: OD engagement light

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: OD engagement light
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 30 Oct 1997 08:40:17 -0600
In <3.0.3.32.19971029191841.00a83450@mail.intersatx.net>, Carol wrote:
>I'm about to commit blasphemy here, but...
>
>Is overdrive REALLY worth all the aggravation that I have been reading
>about on this list for over a year... If I had to remember to turn
>something on and off, I'd be buying new transmissions almost daily... slow
>learner!
>
>Of course there's something to be said for a quieter drive and better gas
>mileage and...

I apologize for the diss to others, but most of what you have been
reading is from folks whose overdrives or control circuits aren't
working properly.  These systems should be repaired.  With
everything working, the lielihood of damage is near zero.  Most of
this stuff is over 20 years old and you have to expect some flakiness
here and there.  I put in an o/d tranny (after replacement of o-rings,
filter, careful checkout of solenoid, rewiring with proper connectors)
three years ago and haven't had a bit of trouble.  It's a delight.  I can
cruise all day at 70 without need of earplugs.  If you forget to turn
it off, it reminds you by giving lousy acceleration in third gear.

                        A. B. Bonds