Re: Smog-legal webers? (was Advice to newcomer..)

To: Brian Furgalus <lennon80@usa.net>
Subject: Re: Smog-legal webers? (was Advice to newcomer..)
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 14:40:36 -0500
Brian Furgalus wrote:

> I was reading through the responses of you wonderful people to my
> origional enquiry anout the B, and the comment about the Weber DGV
> caught my attention.  How does one go about passing emissions with one
> of those things installed?  I've heard that raising the compression,
> adding mild cam, and adding a weber is the best way to get performance
> from the MGB, but I didn't know it was smog legal.  What components must
> be installed?  Is a catalytic converter required?  Thanks.Leaning
> towards RBB.

The right answer to almost all queries is "it depends." As for the chrome
versus rubber bumper car, for a daily driver, the (can't believe I'm saying
this) rubber bumber is a pretty good ride. Sometimes you just have to park
among the inconsiderate and the bumpers do provide protection. The 1977
through 80 cars had the better interior and, towards the end, the sway bars
for better handling.

As for a Weber, there are two of them: The downdraft DGV is smog legal and
even carries an EPA certificate number. The sidedraft DCOE is a persinickity
but high performance and infinitely adjustable carb that won't pass
emissions while the engine is running.

As for the DGV, it is a decent choice to replace the single Zenith in the
RBB cars. The DGV was never thought of as a performance carb but it might
serve you better than the the Zenith. The chrome bumper cars had dual SUs
and they are period correct. The main way to get performance is to throw the
originals away, however, and buy larger versions of the same thing.

So if you're leaning towards and RBB, the DGV is a reasonable choice. The
best exhaust solution is to find the cast manifold from the chrome bumper
cars and use a 'performance' exhaust system but don't go with too large of
pipes.

This will toss the catalytic converter and there will have to be some
fiddling to get the crankcase ventiliation correct with the DGV manifold but
you should expect better driveability and better motor sounds. By the way,
the DGV is a progressive two-barrel and is known for having an off-idle flat
spot. This is usually cured with a hotter coil and some extra advance. If
that doesn't fix it then fiddle with the throttle linkage and accerlerator
pump.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6
"It's not the pace of life that concerns me; it's the sudden stop at the
end."