Re: Hypothetical question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hypothetical question
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 21:27:49 GMT
Do you mean making "brand new MG's" for sale as a new car?

The technical challenges would be almost entirely safety related, I think.
I don't know how the B stacks up to modern vehicles, though I know it's a
lot more solid than most people think. But they would have to have air
bags, and they would probably also come with anti-lock brakes and a lot of
other things to jack up the price tag. The answer to emissions problems
would probably be to just use a more modern engine, one that would, we
hope, boost performance as well. Also, for a modern sportscar, suspension
and brake changes would probably be desired so as to attract new buyers as
well as nostalgic ones. And a new soft top design that is easier to use
would also be nice...

But that's all speculation...the automakers' solution is to make a
different model in the spirit (sometimes) of the old one. And would the car
above, even if styled as an older MG, really be one? Of course not. Better
that we take an MGH or whatever if we want a new car.