Coolant woes redux

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Coolant woes redux
From: Derek Vandivere <dersk@usa.net>
Date: 10 Dec 99 14:24:56 MET
Okay, just called the mechanic and found that the smaller hose isn't supposed
to be connected to anything; it's blowoff for extra pressure. I thought the
whole setup looked sort of like a homebrew fermentation vessel...

So now the question is just (probably) spotting the leak, so I guess I'll
drive out to the garage (there's one about 500 meters away), fill it up and
look for the leak. Unless, as the mechanic claimed, there is no leak and it's
common for up to half a liter to "evaporate" when running on a newly rebuilt
engine.

Somehow, I think I've probably got a leak. (:

Incidentally, I've got two fans in front of the radiator (again, this
configuration isn't covered in the Haynes); only one runs when I start the
car. Is the second switched on by thermostat or should both always be
running?

Thanks again,
Derek