Re: Coolant woes redux

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Coolant woes redux
From: Steve Walker <swalker@gte.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:38:27 -0500
At 07:04 PM 12/10/99 -0000, you wrote:
>The factory wired the fan(s) such that they come on when the coolant gets
>hot enough, but go off in any event when the ignition is turned off.  Sounds
>like either both fans are wired to come on with the ignition and one is
>non-functional, or one is wired to a thermostat and the other is wired to
>the ignition.  I would guess option 1.  I think only late NA 4-cyl cars had
>twin fans, and they were operated directly off a thermostat, whereas the UK
>factory V8 also had twin fans but operated via relay, a much better system.
>
>PaulH.

My fans are wired through a thernostat and off of the ignition. I would
like to rewire them, still through the thermostat, but off a permanently
hot wire. That way, after I stop, the fans can run until the radiator cools
some. I recall my F**t 124 Spider was wired that way. Any comments? (It's a
'78B roadster, ps-LE)

Steve Walker

 --
Steve Walker              swalker@gte.com   PAGE 1 800 376 2716
Senior Staff Engineer     Phone +1(781)466-2649   FAX ext 2387