Re: Title/Plates Cost

To: <KGROWLER@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Title/Plates Cost
From: "Tony Woodruff" <tonyw@mailmedia.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 07:44:37 -0800
Here in the rainy state of Washington, USA, this has been the subject of a
recent tax revolt!

Licensing for my 1997 minivan has been $700 per year here!  My 1994 Mazda truck
is around $300 per year.  I know of people who own expensive RV's that have to
pay close to $2,000 - just to register/plate it!  As of 1/1/2000 the public
voted in an initiative that drops the excise tax portion of the fee to a flat
$30 for all vehicles, regardless of value.  Bad for old, cheap LBC cars, but
good overall for most people.

Of course now they are all punishing us, the way they punished Californians in
the late 70s / early 80s for Prop 13, by cutting essential services instead of
government perks and new buildings!

Tony W
1967 MGB Roadster

>>> <KGROWLER@aol.com> 12/28/99 6:59:33 AM >>>
Yesterday I went to the Illinois Secretary of State's Office (which in most
other states I have resided in would be called the Department of Motor
Vehicles) to change the title of a '65 Midget I bought last spring into my
name. Normally I wouldn't bother with a car that I am not putting plates on
and driving. I usually just hang on to the signed off title until I need to
plate it. The change of plans was precipitated by a new fee schedule going in
to effect Jan. 1. The cost of converting a title is currently $13. Next week
it jumps to $65! Annual plates jump as well. This makes me curious as to what
similar fees are elsewhere. I know the $48 annual plate fee we were paying is
relatively cheap. It is jumping to $78 which still isn't bad compared to some
states. What kind of fees are assessed in other states, provinces and
countries?

Kim Tonry
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA