Re: I smell GAS!

To: Jesse Robinson <jesserobinson2@hotmail.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I smell GAS!
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:08:58 -0400
Well drive with the top down!!! Sheesh will you people never learn??

Seriously, check the tubing going to from the lil canister in he boot. Well
that is if the 70 has a little canister in the boot. Thatıs where I found my
gas smell.

Larry

At this exact moment in time 10/24/00 12:34 AM, "Jesse Robinson"
<jesserobinson2@hotmail.com> made the profound statement:

> List,
>
> When the top is up and the windows are rolled up I can smell gas.  Which
> makes it a real drag for winter driving.  I did installed a new SU fuel pump
> a while back, and didn't tighten the gas pipe hard enough the first time
> around.  I found it to be leaking slightly - tighten it until it stopped and
> thought that was the problem.  Well, I still smell it... I ran the engine
> for a while and gave a good look under the car, and nothing was leaking.  I
> followed the fuel line and didn't see anything out of the ordinary (didn't
> check really good around the tranny though...).  I also gave a quick look in
> the trunk.  Nothing seemed to be leaking...
>
> Any ideas where to go from here?
>
> Gas mileage is pretty bad - 140 miles a tank!  I didn't get really good gas
> mileage to begin with: never rebuilt/valves rattling/low oil pressure/Weber
> Downdraft Carb.  Not really sure what the mileage was before, because I took
> the car out of storage, to start driving it again, and the fuel pump broke
> first thing.  I did replace the tank about 13 years ago with a used one from
> a pick-n-pull yard.  Can't think of anything else usefull.
>
> Thanks - watching my fuel needle drop,
> Jesse
> 1970 MGB

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.