Re: I smell GAS!

To: Dave Wood <djw69@idt.net>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I smell GAS!
From: Matthew Milkevitch <mmilkevitch@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:35:54 -0700 (PDT)
Jesse:

        I had a real bad gas smell in my B a few years back.
I checked out the whole fuel system, and found
everything OK except for a leaky fuel tank.  However,
after replacing that, the smell persisted. It was
coming from the rear of the car (I've got a GT) and
one afternoon I just followed my nose...and the smell
appeared to come from this round thing with two
braided steel hoses coming out of it, located in the
right rear of the car.  The round thing was the fuel
vapor separator, as identified by the Moss catalog
(the Haynes manual didn't mention it).  After I
removed the braided steel hoses, I discovered that the
inner rubber portion of the hose had severely
deteriorated.  I replaced both with brand new rubber
hose (fuel line, actually) and the smell was soon
gone.

        I guess the lesson would be to follow your nose!
Given you have a good nose, that is.  Perhaps the
family cat could provide assistance?  :-).

        Regards,

        Matt Milkevitch

http://im.yahoo.com/