Re: heater removal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: heater removal
From: "Denise Thorpe" <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 22:22:4 -0400
Hah!  Once was enough for me!  I did this job in Georgia, two
states ago, but only about one year ago.  And I have the scars to prove
it.  I tried everything already mentioned: through the passenger vent, with
the cable installed, etc., but not the grinding trick--that's pretty
clever.  It was the obvious method that eventually worked.  I had
the cable off at the dash and at the heater box.  I got the box halfway in
and cocked sideways with the cable halfway through the little hole, and managed
to get a tiny 5/16" wrench on the cable clamp bolt while holding the cable in
place with needlenose pliers.  I tightened the cable bolt with another tiny
wrench (1/4"?) and then pushed the box the rest of the way in and the cable the
rest of the way through the hole.  Voila!  I had a new heater
core,  a new fan motor, a powder-coated heater box, and it only took me
about a week to be able to flex my fingers and turn my head again.

Denise