Re: MGB Meets The Fast And The Furious

To: Greg Bass <gregbass@atlantadental.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Meets The Fast And The Furious
From: James Nazarian Jr <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:58:50 -0600
I know where you are coming from.  When I was 17, right about the time that
this stuff might have started apealing to me, two of my best friends were
killed by a wannabe boy racer.  It was a single car accident in -40F weather
needless to say it was not pretty.  The driver and my two friends died, and
the fourth spent a few months in ICU, and I don't think he ever fully
recovered.

IMO there is nothing cooler than speed, but there is nothing cool about
speed where it doesn't belong. ie the streets.

The nice thing about racing is that everybody knows they are racing.  The
thing about the streets (asside from illegality) is that you are the only
one that knows you are racing.

--
James Nazarian Jr
71 MGB roadster

A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have
   evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 09:38:52AM -0400, Greg Bass profoundly declared:
> My apologies to the list if I seem a bit harsh in my feelings on this
> subject. It was not long ago that my 18 yr old daughter was a passenger in a
> car being drive by another youth. It seems he was racing another car and
> lost control. Slammed into a guardrail and then a tree. My daughter suffered
> severe head injuries (an open skull fracture) and was in very critical
> condition for a few weeks. 3 years and 2 surgeries later she is, thank god,
> a normal young lady with only minor residual after effects and a very strong
> fear of driving a motor vehicle. So I have a personal issue with this type
> of "speed" mentality.
>
> As for encouraging them to join clubs, I have no beef with that. The problem
> I see with this is every locality would need a club and a facility close by
> for the racing. Which most do not have.
>
> Greg

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list