Re: Functioning heater controls?

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, HowerSL@worldnet.att.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Functioning heater controls?
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:26:55 -0600
It's not clear to me whether you have too much heat or not enough.  There
are several common heater problems.  Plus some odds 'n ends just thrown in.

1) a design flaw in the control system results in not enough movement in
the control mechanism to fully open or close the valve.  It's a good idea
to re-adjust for winter vs summer.  Make sure it fully closes in the
summer, and fully opens in the winter.

2) if you have too much heat in the summer, it is not likely the heater is
at fault.  Plug all firewall holes, no matter how small they
seem.  Insulating the firewall, floors and tunnels is a good idea too.

3) if the valve leaks be prepared to walk, it may result in a wet
distributor.  If it doesn't stop your car you may loose enough coolant to
blow a head gasket ...

4) re-seal the heater door flaps.

5) fan motors can be lubricated, this may revive a dead motor.

6) defroster not working?  Reconnect the tubes under the dash.

Larry Hoy