Re: Insurance...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Insurance...
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:00:08 EST
In a message dated 2/17/02 9:10:04 AM Eastern Standard Time, Aeseeyou@aol.com
writes:

> Some people who are
> also LBC buffs told me that they have "Collector Car" type insurance thats
> detirmined by the amount of  miles driven instead of the amount of coverage
>
> needed,etc. This last year (12 mo.) I only put 900 miles on the odometer

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Go to www.hagerty.com and read up.  You tell them how much your car is worth
(within reason) and if, God forbit, the car is totalled, they just pay you
that amount.  It is called an agreed value policy.  They also cover your
spare parts in the garage.  You must have another car as your daily driver
and keep your classic car in a locked garage.  I pay $99 a year and have my
'77 Midget insured for $5000.

With ANY legal agreement, make sure you read ALL of the fine print and agree
with the restrictions.  Do not try to pull anything over on the insurance
company, they will find out.  Many policies I read before I chose Hagerty had
mileage restrictions, or competition restrictions, such as no coverage if the
car is damaged in competition.  That COULD be a judged car show, which is a
competition.  Hagerty just says no RACING. (It is not cheap to get insurance
for a race car.)

Another policy would not cover the car if it was out of your sight!  (Stated
as "direct control.")  What if I want to drive it to a Sunday brunch with the
MG club?  I guess I could eat in the parking lot!  Read the fine print.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"