Re: Installing alarm and actuators

To: Morten Agnor <jagsterr@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Installing alarm and actuators
From: Chad Cooper <mgb72@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:23:40 -0800
The door lock actuators go in very easily, and as someone suggested incorrectly
they are not big and heavy, maybe 4 inches by 2 inches and made of ABS so
hardly
heavy...  the actuators can be installed vertically on the inside of the door
jamb near the door latch mechanism.  Once you get in there you will see what I
mean.  You can pull the rod off of the key cylinder (the one that moves when
you
turn the key) and the actuator hooks to the rod where the Cylinder used to be...

As far as locking a convertible with the top up, yes anyone can get in easily,
with a knife, but there is a whole group of thieves (usually kids) that do
nothing but check door locks and move on. I wonder do you leave your other cars
doors unlocked It's just as easy to break a window as it is to slash a top
(same
group of thieves will break windows that slash tops)...faster actually.

Morten Agnor wrote:

> I'm going to install an alarm system in my 1966 B roadster. This just in
> because of the insurance and my general concern...
>
> I want to secure the boot, engineroom, doors (with microswitches) and if
> possible the CD-player. The main point is to incorporate some sort of start
> imobilizer so that the engine will not start when the alarm is armed.
>
> I found a system now that even claims it can secure the cab with ultrasound.
> Has anyone some experience with this on a B roadster (my concern is that
> since the cabin is not airtight it will not work properly and sometimes I'll
> park without taking the top up, what to do then?).
>
> Another thing I'm thinking about is installing actuators controlled by the
> alarmremote to lock / unlock the doors with the alarm. I'll disassemble the
> original locking mechanism, the key that's used today isn't safe at all, one
> day I couldn't find the keys I used a paperclip to unlock the car(!), and
> I'm no professional car thief... I think the remotecontrol only actually
> will be a lot safer :).
>
> Any suggestions?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list