Re: water pump

To: David Deutsch <mgman@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: water pump
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 21:32:27 -0500
  The point about the ear on the aluminum water pump breaking is well
taken.   What happened to me with the alternator on my '69 B may be
relevant.

  The bolts that hold the alternator to the bracket on the block kept
loosening up which meant a loss of belt tension.  In looking for the
cause I discovered that the alternator and water pump pulleys were'nt
running in the same plane.  This caused the alt to vibrate and loosened
the bolts.  A couple of washers installed to align the pulleys cured the
prob and the bolts haven't loosened since.

  So if you're having trouble with the ears breaking or holes hogging
out on aluminum housings, you may want to check that all the pulleys are
in alignment and the shafts run smoothly.  Vibration is what does 'em
in.

  Cheers,

   CR