Re: Fuel pump problems?

To: jmc987@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Fuel pump problems?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:45:42 -0500
Joe,
   Since you do not know the actual age of the pump, it would be prudent
to buy a new one and to rebuild this one as a spare. You said its
performance was sketch even though it passed the delivery test.  These
pumps work for a long time, get dodgy, then die.  If you have doubts
about it, just get a new one.
   Electronic pumps are said to be superior. I dunno--if they die you're
stranded. If the old mechanical type dies, you can usually coax it into
performing for a while and then, when it quits permanently, you can pump
the thing by pulling a string attached to the armature.
  You asked if there could be something else causing this--well, yes,
there could be. There might be sediment in the pump's internal filter, or
sediment at the tank pickup, or a plugged fuel line to the pump.   You
have been using alcohol at every other fillup, you said, so it is not
likely that there is water in the tank, and even so the pump will pump
water as well as it pumps gasoline.
   One of our listers notes something to the effect that "just because
you found one problem doesnt' mean that you found  The problem"    That
might apply here.
Bob