Re: Concours (was Front Valance colors)

To: Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Concours (was Front Valance colors)
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 04:45:32 -0700 (PDT)
Eric, why can't you have an 'original' car AND drive it? I am restoring my
'65 B to factory specs but plan to drive it... Don't have room for a
museum piece and have no interest in it being a concours car!

Barney - I do agree about the satin black. When I repainted my air
cleaners, I dithered back and forth and settled on the satin and am very
pleased with the result. That's what I plan to use on the heater box,
pedal box, etc. Will look good against the Tartan Red paint.

--- Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net> wrote:
> And this is one of MY pet peeves... Folks who get a bit too 'anal'
> about a so-called "Concours Restoration". The original "Concours" type
> of events were for vehicles that were essentially customs - coach
> built bodies on classic chassis.
>
> Today we judge cars on how 'original' they are - original meaning how
> they originally came from a factory. As if they are in some sort of
> time capsule & never meant to *driven*!
>
> I can understand that we need to have few examples of 'original' cars
> but those should be in museums. The rest of us should endeavor to have
> nice cars and then DRIVE them. OK, speaking for myself, THAT is where
> the enjoyment comes from.
>
> /rant  :>)
> Eric
> 1960 MGA