Re: Concours (was Front Valance colors)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Concours (was Front Valance colors)
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 18:51:49 -0400
OK, I will bend over & take my smacks...

However, I do wish to point out that the friend who is/was obsessing
over the restoration of his MGA *never* finished doing so. He admits
he became overwhelmed with trying to make 100 point restoration. He
gave up. He also refuses to sell his accumulation of bits at anything
close to a reasonable price "because it'll be worth money someday".
So, his MGA sits in a storage shed. Who is enjoying anything in this
case?

Here is my final observation (slightly OT but I hope you can make the
connection): I was at a model train show. I was browsing through the
flea market where a dealer was selling "MatchBox" type cars - (new
stuff, not 'NOS' or uniquely rare items, BTW). I overheard two young
boys, I guessed they were about 10 - 12 years old. One boy picks up a
vehicle and was excitedly showing his friend what he found. The other
boy replies, "Don't forget, you have to keep it unopened in the
original package. That way it'll be worth money someday."

How sad, I thought. Boys can't even play with their toys because it'll
destroy it's "future value".

OK, to each his own. I like to take my toys out of the package & play
with 'em!

Eric
1960 MGA
1978 MGB