Re: Cingular Wireless - OT

To: "David Councill" <dcouncil@imt.net>, "Mg List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cingular Wireless - OT
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:15:11 -0500
Hey guys, I seem to be hearing good things about cingular and verizon, but
there have been some questions about GSM and TDMA.  Basically GSM is the
European standard for cellular and is the system that all the new camera
phones and internet phones work on.  The cellular system in this country is
converting to it but some of the coverage maps look a little spotty right
now.  The TDMA system is what cellular phones in the US have been using for
a long time.  Currently this system is being dismantled, and I have been
told that within the year it will no longer exist.  AT&Ts one rate and dual
band phones work on TDMA but that won't exist soon which is one reason for
needing to change service.  Cingular will be sending letters to all of their
customers within the next few months telling their TDMA customers that they
will have to upgrade soon.

Thanks for the input guys, and keep 'em coming.
James Nazarian
71 MGBGTV8
71 MGB Tourer