Re: SU Carb identification

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: SU Carb identification
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:20:44 -0600
Hi Bill,

Ha, ha, I love it.  Right after I returned to my then hometown of El
Paso, TX, after getting out of the navy in the spring of 1959, I went to
a chum's hot rod shop to say hello.  He showed me a '55 Chevy with a 3/4
race 283 CID engine that he'd just got done building and installing for
a customer.  Perched on top of this engine was a pair of enormous Carter
AFB carbs, ganged together to open in unison.  Now, this being a street
machine, I asked if that wasn't an awful lot of carburetion for such an
application.  Well, he kind of screwed to the ceiling over that.  After
he came down he said  that the Hillborne injectors of that time mounted
right on the head ports and they weren't too much throat area, were
they?  So when I pointed out that those injectors didn't meter fuel on
the venturi effect he went right back to the overhead (G).  And this guy
was supposed to be a pro.

   We had a nice springlike day last week so we went for a ride in the
B.  While chugging along on the hill country ranch roads, admiring the
scenery, I was congratulating myself that I'd chosen the '67 stock cam
profile when I built the engine.  Smooth midrange torque at median road
speeds and still will buzz up a bit for when yer feeling coltish.  Ya
gotta keep in mind how you plan to use the car.

   Cheers,

    CR