Re: Engine trouble

To: R.bonnick@lancaster.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Engine trouble
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 13:13:45 -0400
Roger,
   I'm sorry to read that you have engine troubles.  From the sounds you
describe, the problem is going to require some wrench time, whatever it
turns out to be.
   If the engine can be turned with a wrench on the front pulley without
your hearing crunching or scratching, you can use a compression gauge to
check for troubles in the piston or valves of that cylinder.  I suspect
that is the area, because of the blue smoke. If other cylinders have
reasonable pressure and this one does not have any,  then you know that a
valve has gone missing and that the piston has troubles too.
   If that is the case, removal of the head is called for.  You can do
this.  In fact, you can do almost everything in the MGB engine. This is a
pretty robust device and for only a few fittings and adjustments would
you want to ask assistance of someone who has done it before.  The
largest part of the labor is wrenching.
   It's possible that the knock you heard was because a valve adjustor
locknut worked loose and the adjuster worked loose until the knocking
began.
  Paul suggested the Haynes manual. I like the Bentley ( official MGB
factory manual ) too.  You may find that a procedure described in one may
not make sense but in the other it does, and the different illustrations
offer useful information in different ways.  I use both.  Neither is
inexpensive.  You can xerox the pages to make a workbook for use in the
garage.
  If you find metal shards in the cylinder you will want to remove the
sump, and if the piston is damaged it will need to be removed. That is
done by releasing piston rod bolts at the bottom. Mark the rod and the
bearing cap so they reassemble in the same position. By raising the front
of the engine slightly you gain better access to the 7/16" bolts at the
front of the sump.
  As you get into this project, share your findings with the list. But be
of good cheer as most troubles are fixable, and even if the engine is
beyond repair there are replacement engines to be found at reasonable
cost.
Bob