RE: Carburetion

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>,
Subject: RE: Carburetion
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:52:33 -0700
Barrie:

I think that is a bit harsh. I classify myself as being "in the know"
and I would only snicker slightly!

Seriously. The DGV is an ok carburetor, but it just does not match the
tortuous intake path of the Siamese port head very well. They work fine
on water heated manifolds with one port per cylinder. For a while they
were the hot ticket on A series Mini engines as the accelerator pump
made for some dramatic acceleration as compared to the stock SUs. But
then Vizzard did a bunch of flow testing and big single SU carbs became
the rage.

I'm not a fan of the feel of the progressive 2 barrels as it does not
relate to anything MGish. But then I'm used to the SUs where you put
your foot down and the engine thinks about it.

I havn't driven one of the non-progressive versions, but they are still
going to have the same low end hesitation due to inadequate direction
and volume of accelerator pump jet.

For the same reason that I mentioned earlier, a DGV on a manifold is a
nice bit of kit to have around the garage because it is easy to chuck on
an engine to get it running. The small primary throat gives good flow
speed and for putting around works fine. For a while I was running a DGV
as my winter carb on my daily driver MGB as with a water heated manifold
it worked a lot better on sub zero days than either the SUs or the Weber
45 DCOE I normally ran.
I wish that they had been around when I was running my Austin Marina, as
fitting twin SUs and then a 45DCOE to that car was bloody frustrating. A
DGV would have been a nicer set up.

Enough rattling on, can you tell that I don't want to get working on the
next Moss sale fler content.

Kelvin.