Re: OFF TOPIC-computer advice

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC-computer advice
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 16:58:53 -0800 (PST)
--- bjshov8 <bjshov8@comcast.net> wrote:

>  On a PC you have a pretty
> good idea what C: means, but there is no equivalent in our Linux
> box.  If we
> don't have it written down as to what our data drive is (which
> would be D:
> on our PC), it takes quite a bit of time searching through the
> directory structure to find it.

But this is exactly what I said - if you're used to doing things
the Microsoft way, then that seems simpler to you because it's
*familiar*.  Windows causes me no end of agony because it *doesn't
make any sense*.  Maybe if I'd been using it for the last 20 years
like I've been using Unix it would, but for me life's too short
to learn to function in a bizzarroworld parallel universe.

>  We still don't know how to manipulate the
> file
> system.  I know how to do it on a Unix box, with user logged in and
> so
> forth, but can't figure out how people connecting to a Linux box
> through a network are defined as "users".

What are they using to connect?  NFS, SAMBA, something else?
I assume you're using this as a file server.  If you want, all
you have to do is put in a disk drive and mount is as /D.
Now it looks like Windows.  User authentication is a piece of
cake in Unix.  In Windows, I dunno.

> And lastly, even though the machine came
> with a graphical interface and a graphical web browser, our
> supplier told us
> to NEVER under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES connect to the internet with that
> browser.
> He said Linux has no defense mechanisms and that machine would be a
> sitting duck.

LOL!  Now *that's* a good one!  Sitting duck for what?  It
sounds like this guy didn't know how to configure the box
(that old familiarity == simplicity equation) so he just
disabled alot of security and assumes it will behave like
a Windows box that's configured the same way.

> We're considering replacing the Linux box with a Windows box that
> we know how to operate.

Well, best of luck.  Use what's best for you.  If all you know
is Windows (and I don't understand how you can be Unix savvy
and still be having so much trouble) go for it.  But just
because you don't know how to do something, that doesn't
make it inherently difficult - just new.  So load Windows
on the thing and be happy.  Just don't use the web browser.
Internet Exploder has no defense mechanisms and that machine
would be a sitting duck.

This is about the time the off-topic police start
complaining so I guess I'm done on this subject.

David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com