RE: OFF TOPIC-computer advice

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: OFF TOPIC-computer advice
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 08:32:42 -0800 (PST)
--- "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu> wrote:

> I have my doubts as to whether Linux or Macs are a viable solution
> his problem, not withstanding the costs and time involved for such
> migration. Linux, like Max said, is not for the computer illiterate
> or semi-literate.

I'd have to disagree strongly with this.  I for one find Windows
inscrutable and counter-intuitive. It's almost like the people who
designed it not only don't know how computers work, but don't care
to know, and want to pass their ignorance on to their customers.
It all boils down to, for the most part, what you're used to.
And I've worked with quite a few Windows partisans over the years
who've set up a Linux machine either out of curiosity or because
a project required it, and for every one, it was a "scales fell
from my eyes" experience.  Some now use both, some exclusively
Linux, but none have come away still thinking that Linux is
terrible and Windows rules.

That said, these people are computer professionals, and
anybody's choice of platform is going to be governed above
all by what appplications they want to run, but the notion
that Linux is somehow more complicated to set up and
maintain than Windows is in my experience unfounded.

David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index