Re: OFF TOPIC-computer advice

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC-computer advice
From: "bjshov8" <bjshov8@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:44:13 -0600
I come from a Unix background, even before I had a PC.  IMO Unix was
invented by people that had certain ideas they wanted to implement, and they
wanted to make it easy for themselves to use, but making it easy for a
novice to use wasn't one of their goals.  Now extrapolate that to Linux and
to me it gets worse for the novice in several ways.  Our supplier convinced
us to buy a Linux server for our little office.  On a PC you have a pretty
good idea what C: means, but there is no equivalent in our Linux box.  If we
don't have it written down as to what our data drive is (which would be D:
on our PC), it takes quite a bit of time searching through the directory
structure to find it.  We still don't know how to manipulate the file
system.  I know how to do it on a Unix box, with user logged in and so
forth, but can't figure out how people connecting to a Linux box through a
network are defined as "users".  And lastly, even though the machine came
with a graphical interface and a graphical web browser, our supplier told us
to NEVER under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES connect to the internet with that browser.
He said Linux has no defense mechanisms and that machine would be a sitting
duck.

We're considering replacing the Linux box with a Windows box that we know
how to operate.