RE: OFF TOPIC-computer advice

To: "Paul Root" <ptrmgb@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: OFF TOPIC-computer advice
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 20:39:24 -0700
Although I don't like to stray too far off topic on this list for those
of you who don't give a rat's ass about this stuff, this list has been
one of the best sources of information for many things besides MGs,
including topics like digital cameras and even cats.

As far as the Mac, I am still struggling. I am from a vms/unix/windows
background but have worked some off and on with Macs since OS 7. With
Macs, I have yet to find any good technical resources even from Apple.
Many features plain do not work or are present but not "ready" yet
according to documentation and Mac groups that I have searched. Yes, the
Mac has tar but it does not work well with OSX due to "resource forks"
so there is what is called a "hacked" version hfstar which works but
either loses file permissions or has problems with them plus it requires
a fair bit of scripting, etc. My unix background has been very helpful
because the Mac gui appears to be very limited in functionality, less
featured than Windows, so I have to do a lot more with unix commands to
handle fairly mundane tasks. Retrospect appears to be the best backup
possibility at this point but has mixed reviews on the Internet.
Retrospect has been bought by EMC which is also the company that we deal
with for our SAN software and hardware. I need to get better plugged in
with the Mac Internet world to get all this going, but for now, I still
shake my head when people try to say how much better a Mac is compared
to Windows. I'd use my Mac more if I could get it to do more.

Finally, thanks for all your comments. I figured there would be at least
a handful of Mac users on this list. I need to get more Mac minded or at
least learn the Mac way a bit more.

David