Re: Lets keep Will Happy

To: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Lets keep Will Happy
From: smithmog@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 22:16:47 -0700
Bob Nogueira wrote:

> -- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --
>
> Gee, all  the  Morgans must be running great,  since no posts = no problems.
>
> If this keeps up we're all going to get one of those withdrawal notes from
> Will .
>
> So here's the start of a thread which everyone can participate.
>
> How I Came to Find my Morgan
>       Great thread, Bob.Here goes....
        When I was a kid in Detroit,with the encouragement of my engineer
father I
lived on a steady diet of Road&Track, Car&Driver,Sports Car Graphic,etc.This
led to
harder stuff-Ken Purdy, Tom McCahill, Ralph Stein,Jean Shepard(drophead owner!)
and
the like.I picked up from these writers that sports cars were a Good Thing, and
that
Morgans were worthy.I would frequently see them on Woodward Avenue near my
house, and
I knew that these were something special-particularly the BRG Plus4 driven by
Dr.Fred
Johnson to his practice in Ferndale-rain or shine, winter or summer.I even had
the
only Morgan slot car I've ever seen at age 12(Wonder where it is now?)
        Years passed.In my teens, I frequented all of the used sports car lots
in the
Detroit area, and occasionally took pictures or cadged test drives in obscure
cars
(What possessed those salesmen to let me loose in their cars I will never
understand,
but I'm in their debt to this day.)I still always noticed the Morgans-a ratty
drophead
in Royal Oak, a wrecked Plus 4 up on Grand River...but I knew they were way
beyond my
reach, so I  drove a succession of obscure imports such as Fiats,Cortinas,Mazda
R100,etc.These did not prove to be suitable for my daily commute to Wayne
State, but
they were cheap and interesting.
        Fast forward to my 20's.Got a job, made decent money, got a low-milage
TR6.Then a TR3 for company.Met Girl Of My Dreams,got married, bought house,
kept
cars.Still, whenever I saw a Morgan,it filled my with longing.It just looked
perfect.
        Then,kids.My first daughter was born, and still we kept the Triumphs.My
wife,
now expecting our second child, was out shopping with me one afternoon in
Troy,Mi.
when I decided to take a small detour to look at a Morgan being sold at a
consignment
broker.It was a 4/4 1600 2 seater; black on black.I sat in it, made engine
noises,
while my wife looked on with a bemused look.Driving away from the shop in our
station
wagon, she said "why don't you put in a low offer?" It was a long wait until
that
Monday, but I got it.
        Since then, lots of new wood, some misc. parts, and a fresh bare metal
respray
in BRG-just like my childhood idols' cars. I've since met and become good
friends with
many of these wonderful people in Michigan and my new home in Texas, and I've
never
met such an interesting and colorful bunch of men and women.My daughters are
now car
people,too, and always participate in British Car events.Do Ferrari owners have
this
much fun with their cars?
        Thanks,guys.Some dreams come true.

                Jeff Smith