Re: VS: folding windshield

To: schage@online.no, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: VS: folding windshield
From: FPS3 <FPS3@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 10:27:41 EST
I also noticed the tightness of the Rutter kit on my car. Cured by a vise
(aluminum jaw covers) and a big Cressent wrench. I twisted the lower part of
the mount to bring the two parallel. Also "snugged" the acorn nuts for
proper/smooth folding action and Locktited them as they tended to adjust
themselves now and then. Also tapped the body mounts to 1/4X20 and used "off-
the-shelf" stainless bolts and lock washers. Had to shorten the bottom bolts
(grinder) to keep from denting body. Be sure... that the windshield bolts
don't touch the glass! Bit of fitting & grinding necessary on mine.

Bob's point on the highth of the Rutter unit is right-on.
The folded windscreen was always right in line with my eyes so I did not enjoy
the folded screen as much as I thought I would. Folded, the windscreen was
about halfway up through the brooklands screen. Instead I became real good at
simply removing the windshied alltogether. I could take it off about as fast
as I could fold it...
The '55 original folding screen is much lower to the body. The problem with
retrofiting though is that the body bracket is different,,,,

Fred Sisson