Re: VS: folding windshield

To: "FPS3@aol.com" <FPS3@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: VS: folding windshield
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 98 20:57:44 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

Will
    If you  think you will be going for just short drives I'd  get the
Brookland screen and pass on the folding screen  (  Its a little hard to
carry the windscreen if your on a long trip and want to drive with the
brooklands ) .  Around town I do as Fred and just pull the screen off the
car  and run with the Brooklands
If you want another option , pull the screen off and stop by a Harley
Davidson shop and pick up a pair of  aviator goggles  ( approx $25.00 ).

The most memorial drive I ever had was  in the Yukon  driving down the road
with screen down, mountains  on the horizon  and  moose  on the side of the
road .

By the way Barney Gaylord has set up a web site on the Alaska 97 Run to the
Sun .
He has over 240 pictures  complete with captions and maps of the trip with
lots of photos of  John and Gladys' 4/4 and yours truly and the Duchess.

http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/ak/akdirect.htm

 message follows --------

> Date: Wednesday, 18-Mar-98 10:49 AM
>
> From: William Zehring          \ Internet:    (zehrinwa@umdnj.edu)
> To:   FPS3@aol.com             \ America Online: (FPS3)
> cc:   MORGANS                  \ Internet:    (morgans@autox.team.net)
>
> Subject: Re: VS: folding windshield
>
> At 10:27 AM 3/18/98 EST, Fred Sisson wrote:
>
> >Bob's point on the highth of the Rutter unit is right-on.
> >The folded windscreen was always right in line with my eyes so I did not
> enjoy
> >the folded screen as much as I thought I would. Folded, the windscreen
was
> >about halfway up through the brooklands screen. Instead I became real
good at
> >simply removing the windshied alltogether. I could take it off about as
fast
> >as I could fold it...
> >The '55 original folding screen is much lower to the body. The problem
with
> >retrofiting though is that the body bracket is different,,,,
>
> Hmmm.  That's an important point.  As I recollect, my frame is bolted to
the
> body side mounts by four or six hex head bolts.  It'd take about five mins
> remove it, I recon.  The next question would be the mounting of the
brooklands.
>  Does anyone out there have the brooklands screen mounted on their scuttle
(is
> that the right word?)???  How much space is needed to mount the posts for
the
> brooklands?  Isn't the brooklands glass attached to posts with wing nuts?
Can