Re: Car & Driver

To: "aMORGANS@autox.team.net" <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Car & Driver
From: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@home.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 17:20:32 -0700
If I might offer my tuppence...

Regarding the description of the new vehicle and the changes that
might be wrought: Anyone seeking a retro-styled, pseudo-classic can go
find a Zimmer, Panther, or Excaliber (where are those companies
today?).  I hope the Morgan is NEVER allowed to follow that road.  A
useful discussion on this list might be to define the real character
of a Morgan.

I can certainly understand the dilemma of trying to build a vehicle
that a large contingent WANT but can't GET (legally).  How far should
the basic vehicle be compromised to be able to sell it.  Will anyone
want it after its been compromised?  I doubt any legal options are
left to be able to exemption the vehicles to be sold to most countries
(we are so fond of letting the government protect ourselves from
ourselves).

I'd like to suggest (especially if the factory happens to be reading)
that the MMC is in a unique position to provide two or perhaps three
types of vehicles in the future vehicle market:
  1) The 'new' version which may incorporate whatever safety changes
are needed while maitaining the greatest essence of the Morgan
character (a Sysiphian task to be sure).

  2) Genuine factory rebuilt cars.  The means and technology are there
to rebuild virtually any Morgan built and I expect this could become a
good portion of business if the 'new' vehicle becomes problematic in
certification or sales.  I doubt ANY factory in the world is in the
same position to offer the same level of genuine factory services.  I
draw a distinction between restoring a car and rebuilding a car in the
factory that built it initially using the very same processes (and in
some cases, the same hands)...

  3) I've always harbored the thought that a very high efficiency
motor in an alloy body with a trike format would still qualify as a
motorcycle in most countries and therefore gain exemptions from many
regulations.  In addition, it might become AHEAD of its time as a fuel
efficient vehicle and perhaps gain tax exemptions (how's that for
irony? To come full circle by building 3-wheelers to reduce taxation).
Again, this is an avenue to explore if the sales of the 'new' vehicle
don't materialize.

--
"Entropy Happens!"
Michael D. Miles, PE  Consulting Design Engineer