Re: A Morgan virgin !

To: SHarman@ideal.co.uk, jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk
Subject: Re: A Morgan virgin !
From: LSelz@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 18:02:12 EDT
Steve -

If you can live with a scooter as daily transportation, then you can live
with a Morgan- but don't expect any great improvement in comfort once you get
one.

I've done it several ways in my life -

1) Lived 4 years in a big city with a bicycle (8000 miles/year), the Metro
and city busses as my only transport.

2) Lived in the country with only a motorcycle as transportation (3 years/15K
miles/year).

3) Live (now) in the country with cars, motorcycles, trucks, bicycles, and a
Morgan.

As daily transport, I really wouldn't compare the Morgan with another car for
weather-proofing, comfort,  or maintainability.  I think it compares directly
with a classic motorcycle, say a BSA or a Laverda or an old Harley.  Any
modern faired motorcycle will give you about as much protection from
wind-blast and water as the Morgan will; and if you want the wood framing and
steel chassis to last any time at all, you can't "ride 'er hard and put 'er
away wet" (as the cowboys used to say of their horses); if it goes much in
the rain, you'll spend time with towels and WD 40 assuring that no water is
standing around in corrosive places.

You'll spend time on maintenance; way more than any "regular" car you might
spend $20K-$45K on to obtain.  Think of an old Bugatti or something like
that; oil cans, rags, wrenches for bolt tightening, Loc-Tite, etc.

Depending on your lifestyle, it might work, and would certainly be a fun
challenge; but if you have situations where you are gone from town for a
week, and have to fly back in at 11:00 PM, and then have to drive 250 miles
in the rain starting at 6:00 AM the next morning to be at a business meeting
looking like something without being able to "preflight" the car, then having
a Morgan as your sole car is going to be a bit of a disappointment.  But if
you're a student, or self-employed, or "have your own money", or retired,
then go for it; I would stand up and salute anyone who runs a Morgan as their
only car.

              Lannis