RE: A Morgan virgin !

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: A Morgan virgin !
From: Dave.Vodden@uk.ecitele.com
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:50:38 +0000
--0__=wa7hFxcqmtSa5bFOD6ELVIkcoJvpIwF6kMqZ6pxgl1RMdvk1eKdaoJCx

There follows a re-post as I didn't get it back (if you see what I mean)
Appologies to those who already got it.
---------------------- Forwarded by Dave Vodden/Basingstoke/ECI Telecom on
27/08/99 15:46 ---------------------------

Dave Vodden
27/08/99 15:15

To:   Steve Harman - SHA <SHarman@ideal.co.uk>
cc:   morgans@autox.team.net

Subject:  RE: A Morgan virgin !  (Document link not converted)

Steve

You will find a lot of people with a lot of different opinions.  Best
advice is listen, verify if you can, think for yourself and then do what
you want!!  The trouble is with Morgan advice it is hard to differentiate
good from less good.  Mosly people just tell you their experience.

My Morgan driving experience is restricted to my 1992 +4 4 seater.  HUY and
I have done 44000 miles since February 1993 when he was adopted, you don't
really own Morgans they kind of agree to live with you for a time.  It
always works well with the family (2 in the front, 2 in the back like
elephants in a minicar) and even now they are 18 and 15 years old, although
they now refuse to have the top up unless its really wet and it is rare to
get us all in for more than a trip to the pub.  I find the car quick
enough, although it certainly doesn't beat all the saloons round here, then
again I don't often try.  If all you want is a quick car I would suggest
that the answer is not Morgan.  The Morgan experience is a whole load more
than that.

I gather from friends with other models that the standard 4/4 is a more
"chuckable" car.  One, in particular, recently changed an enhaced CVH 4/4
for a new Plus 4 and hasn't stopped complaining since.  ( Heavy steering,
heavy clutch, heavy gear change).  I am convinced it is just a question of
miles as they do take a while to loosen up; mine took about 6000, but the
wider tyres on the Plus 4 must make the steering heavier.  The so called
wide body 4/4 uses the Plus 4 chassis and body and so would behave like
one.

I don't know about Plus 8s.  Probably something to do with the hairs on
your arms.  One guy picked up a car from Wyckam's in Kensington and drove
it straight to a Thames Valley noggin.  By the time he got there he had
scared himself so many times with the acceleration that his hair was grey.
(I didn't look to see if he still had tread on the back tyres).

Your budget should find a mid mileage 4/4 or Plus 4 from 5 to 10 years old
or a high Mileage or older Plus 8.  Low mileage cars less than 5 years old
are more or less as new price.  Prices are higher in London and the South
East.  All the usual warnings about document history apply as they would to
any other car.  Be particularly careful about rust, even the new cars can
rust like crazy, but there is a wide variation from car to car.  One 1989
Plus 4 I know of has done about 70000 miles has always been garages as far
as I know, but has rusted through where the front wings have a welded seam.
(My guess is that to fix it will cost
--0__=wa7hFxcqmtSa5bFOD6ELVIkcoJvpIwF6kMqZ6pxgl1RMdvk1eKdaoJCx

=A31800 to =A32000 for a new set
including labour fitting etc..)  Powder coated parts suffer where the
coating lifts, but they are not that critical.  Wood rot should not be =
an
issue on a Post 1986 car as the frame is cuprinol treated.

In cost terms I can't see that the 4/4 and the Plus 4 are going to be v=
ery
different.  I do about 31 to the gallon average down to 27 on a bad day=
 and
up to 39 on a good run with the family in the car (i.e. restricted to 5=
0mph
but heavily loaded).  The 1800cc 4/4 has to be similar and I would expe=
ct
similar from an injected 1600.  Note that while the BHP on the 1800 is
similar to the 2 litre Plus 4 it has less torque low down.  Service cos=
ts
are probably higher on the earlier engines as they have a shorter servi=
ce
interval (Rover M16 is 5000 miles)  although I just get mine done once =
year in spring and change the oil myself before the winter.  The Plus 8=
 is
more in every way if only because you have to buy more spark plugs!!  A=
for depreciation, very slow indeed.  Even high mileage cars don't
depreciate much by comparison with so called low depreciation cars like=
 BMW
or Mercedes and I have yet to see any running car advertised for less t=
han
=A37000.  If you get a real mechanical failure like a prop shaft joint
getting them out can be a challenge and consequently costly, but its ba=
sic
mechanical stuff within the scope of a reasonable amateur especially as=

most of the work is getting the seats etc out to get to it.  If you are=

going to be a high mileage driver on wire wheels 4/4s and earlier Plus =
4s
have tubes and get punctures at one stage I was getting one every 5000
miles, but only on the back.  Later Plus 4s and the Wire wheeled Plus 8=
have the spokes sealed so they can run tubeless.

Wear and tear:  If you look after it it will always look good.  It will=

develop a used patina over time certainly mine has.  Feed the seats
regularly and the leather won't split, worn mats can be replaced a new =
hood
for a 4 seater is about =A3300 made to measure while you wait.  Most pa=
rts
are available from the factory, but some go out of stock, for example
Aluminium bumpers (for those prone to use them) were unavailable for a =
time
when the Factory went back to chomed steel.

Events:  MSCC the local meetings are a good way to meet like minded peo=
ple.
Most of us don't bite, but we are human (mostly) and consequently have =
both
failings and differences of opinion.  Although conversation is mostly
Morgan related we have been known to talk about other things.  Thames
Valley has a nogin on the first Thursday of each month at The Bird in H=
and,
Knowle Hill, on the A4 just west of Maidenhead.  We would be pleased to=
 see
you next week (2nd September) if you would like.  We usually start 8 to=

8:30; numbers attending varies with the weather and time of year, but a=

good September day should see a good turnout which is a dozen or so car=
and up to 30 people.

Happy Morganing

Dave Vodden

Steve Harman - SHA <SHarman@ideal.co.uk>@autox.team.net on 27/08/99