Re: [oletrucks] valve adjustment

To: "MIKE RAHL" <MRAHL@martinmartin.com>, "Claude Ramey" <rameyfam@n-link.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] valve adjustment
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 23:32:53 -0500
I always like to  take my time when adjusting valves...this is how I do it:
    Plugs out, coil wire disconnected, rotate engine by hand, clockwise of
course
    When #6 intake  is fully open, set lash on #1 intake
    turn engine by hand, watching for #2 to fully open, then set lash on #5
    repeat through the rest of the firing order :
    #4  open, lash #3
    #1  open, lash #6
    #5  open, lash #2
    #3  open, lash #4

The valves open in the above sequence, so only a little rotation is needed.
I do this once for the intakes, then once for exhaust, to avoid changing
feeler gauge
blades. It takes two revolutions like this.

Don't try adjusting valves on a running engine if using a performance
camshaft, it's next to impossible to get accurate settings. Even on a
stocker it's messy, oil seems to get all over everything.

Jack / Winter Park FL