Re: [oletrucks] 3 point Seat belts

To: Ole Truckers <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 3 point Seat belts
From: tim <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:15:51 -0700 (MST)
Definitely not a good idea.  The backing plates for the seat belt bolt
anchors are meant to distort the sheet metal of the cab in the event of a
high-energy impact.  There must be a "weak link" in the setup that will
distort -- it's better if that's the sheet metal, not you.  The same
concept applies to crumple zones on newer cars.  The car takes all of the
energy of the impact, leaving the people inside safe.

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Bruce Kettunen wrote:

> This is not a good idea.  If you get in a crash, the cab can break
> away from the frame and the seat belt will cut you in half if it
> tries to go with the frame and you try to go with the cab...
>
> On the TF/s, seat belts were a dealer installed option, covered in
> the Accessory Installation Manual.  They tied to reenforcing plates
> under the rib in the cab floor behind the seat.
>
> Bruce K
> 57 3200
>
> At Tuesday, 29 October 2002, you wrote:
>
> >Someone had mentioned (way back) that they went right to the frame with
> >their belt anchors.  I don't know how you would pass them outside
> the cab &
> >keep them, or the cab, sealed.  Maybe the source user is still on
> the list &
> >can comment.

Tim Lloyd, lloyd@lasp.colorado.edu
"Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been
sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful,
rebellious, and immature." -- Tom Robbins
"The eyes of the world now look into space, to the moon and to the
planets beyond, and we have vowed that we shall not see it governed
by a hostile flag of conquest, but by a banner of freedom and peace."
-- John F. Kennedy