RE: [oletrucks] master cylinder

To: wayne@chevytrucks.org
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] master cylinder
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 08:49:37 -0500
Wayne:
When I converted to power brakes a couple of years back I planned on cutting
the floor and installing a hinged door to access the MC from above.
Unfortunately the length of the new brake booster and MC put the access
under the driver's side seat and in the middle of the stamped/raised
floorpan for the seat mount.  Did no good to access the MC from under the
seat and I was uncomfortable cutting through the floorpan in a area that may
be structural for the seat mounting bracket.

The company I bought the MC conversion from furnished a small clear plastic
squeeze bottle with a curved spout.  I pop the top off the MC, fill both
sides of the MC with the sqeeze bottle until there is fluid running down the
sides of the MC (yes it is messy and you'd better be careful not to get
brake fluid in your armpit!).  I usually check and top it off once or twice
during the summer and haven't had any problems.  I'm sure you can pick up
the squeeze bottle in various sizes or you may want to buy a small hand pump
oil can with a flexible spout.

Hope this helps, good luck with your disk brake conversion!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy Stepside Pickup
Sparland, IL