Re: GUN CONTROL*NO LBC CONTENT* DELETE NOW IF NOT INTERESTED

To: Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: GUN CONTROL*NO LBC CONTENT* DELETE NOW IF NOT INTERESTED
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 00:08:07 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Robert Duquette wrote:

> Most violent crime is committed within the criminal element and not to the
> rest of the population. N'est c'est pas? ( is it not so? )

I remember hearing a report on NPR (not really the most conservative venue).
I think it was in the city of Richmond, but it was a city where they very
strict laws to punish people who used a gun in a crime.  Harsh and long
sentences, and not always in the same state, they went to federal pens.
There was a reporter who was trying to find why there was an increase in
deaths among drug dealers.  What he found out was that they were being
robbed and killed if they resisted.  The drug dealers stop carrying guns
due to the punishments.  Other criminal realized that they were unarmed and
unable to defend themselves.  So they would rob the dealers.  The dealers
would have either drugs or cash and they were not likely to report the
crime.

This shows that a dent can be made in gun violence if there are harsh laws
in place to punish people who use guns in a crime.  Simple solution, but
it is not very popular and it does not get much play in the media.

Bill Gilroy