Re: GUN CONTROL*NO LBC CONTENT* DELETE NOW IF NOT INTERESTED

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GUN CONTROL*NO LBC CONTENT* DELETE NOW IF NOT INTERESTED
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:52:03 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I was never a card carrying NRA member...... until this year.  I just
joined, thanks to Bill Clinton.

I don't know whether he is well-intentioned or not.  I can't read his mind.
I do observe what he has done.   He does not hesitate to impose his
political views on others through the use of force, initimidation, or any
other means available.  Our founding fathers had experience with strong
central governments.  They tried to build protections against future abuses
of such power.  They didn't even want to have a standing army.  They
believed a militia, comprised of volunteers, would better protect against
the power of the State.

Freedom was once considered by most Americans to be cherished more than life
itself.  Too many of us, in my humble opinion, now prefer to be secure, safe
and taken care of by big government.  Some among us say, "Take my freedom.
Just give me food, shelter, medical care, and don't let me have to worry
about taking responsibility for my own life."   Even worse, some of us are
willing to take those freedoms from our fellow citizens.

If we favor education over legislation, we will, I believe, develop a more
responsible citizenry.   I concede that there will, no matter how much we
educate, sometimes be abuses and crazy people and poor judgment.  But these
exceptions should not, in my opinion, be sufficient reason to deprive
responsible citizens of their freedoms and quality of life.  Some of you
won't understand this, but I would rather live free and risk being shot by a
madman than live under an oppressive system of laws where every aspect of my
life is regulated by a "benevolent" but unsympathetic and all-powerful
government..  The term "wild west" in one post was, I think, intended as a
derogatory term, probably by someone who values safety and security above
freedom.  For anyone still reading, there are few things as precious as
freedom.  Without it, life has little quality, value or meaning.

We cannot achieve greatness, as a nation or individually, by force or by a
deluge of laws and regulations.  We can achieve greatness and true quality
of life only when we are free to govern ourselves.

OK.....I feel better...... I'll be quiet now.........