RE: Clutch

To: Spridgets <Spridgets@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: Clutch
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:13:00 -0400
Hi Larry,

Just came in, starting to rain and the temp is 57 degrees out!  Wonderful,
but hard to do some outdoor work!

Read all the answers to your problem and to be honest, I'm not really sure
what the problem is.

On nearly all the Morris conversions, I have supplied the Datsun dealer
clutch cover and plate.  I have been looking at some of the aftermarket
covers that some customers are using and have found at least 3 different
ones in regards to configurations.  It's possible that on some of these the
release fingers on them are closer to the flywheel and consequently
requires an increase of the forward movement of the TO bearing.

The adjustment on the clutch should be somewhere in the neighborhood of
full release close to the bottom of the pedal throw.  This will prevent the
carrier from going too far forward on the front trans. cover and also will
prevent overflexing of the clutch cover with it's attending shortened cover
life.  This may mean that there is a lot of free play in the pedal,
depending on the slave that you use.  With an adjustable push rod, this is
easy to achieve.

Overextending the TO bearing carrier on the front cover doesn't sound like
the problem.  My experience in the past on that one is that when it
happens, It just plain doesn't come back.   You're using the Rivergate
plate which is 1/8 inch thicker than the Morriservice one, but you have
used the spacer so that likely still isn't the problem.

There is also an assumption here that everything is working fine in the
hydraulic system.  No debris in the new lines, no binding in the slave cyl,
and the clutch pedal assembly a tad loose, no binding.

My first suggestion for a fix is to adjust the clutch so that full release
is closer to the bottom of the clutch pedal, rather than at the top of the
pedal.  If this cures it, then this might be an indicater that indeed the
TO carrier might well be getting too far off the front trans cover.  Try
it, if it isn't already adjusted this way.

The slave cylinder that you're using, I suspect is the Toyota Pick up one.
I have no experience with this one but can't imagine it being a problem
area as in the PU's they last forever.  Could there be an off angle push on
the throw out arm with this mounting causing some binding?

Let me know if this suggestion has some positive results.

Regards, Paul A

>On the way to work this morning I had some clutch trouble in the Bugeye.

>When depressed for shifting, the pedal would hang when I let it up. It
would
stick for a second or two, then slowly come up. I don't think it was
catching on anything on the floor.

>It never did it taking off in 1st, only when shifting and it did not do it
every time. Sitting at a light, I pressed and released it numerous times
and
it was ok. This was of course with the tranny in neutral.

>I have the Datsun 5-speed using the Datsun clutch and pressure plate and a
Bugeye slave cylinder with the adjustable rod.

>Any ideas?

Larry Miller
'59 Bugeye
http://www.ado13.com