Re: Future M@ss restoration frustrations

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Future M@ss restoration frustrations
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 16:57:44 EDT
The 1.8 L engines are from 1999 and newer (M2's) the earlier cars were 1.6 L
(M1's).  The 2000 SE delivered in certain countries including the U.S.A. came
with 6 speed and it is an option on 2001 cars.

Bob & Annice
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes)
2000 Miata SE

In a message dated 8/16/01 6:34:31 AM, soavero@yahoo.com writes:

<< --- Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca>
wrote:
> I know next to nothing abut Miatas.  What do they
> have in them for a power
> train,

1.8 L DOHC 155 HP 4 banger with variable valve timing
(although for North America the engine dyno's at 142
HP, for which Mazda was nice enough to give the owners
a $500 refund).  Looks almost exactly like an old Alfa
twin cam engine, minus the carbs.  Distributor-less
direct ignition.  Rev limiter at 7200.  Might fit in a
Spridget, but sometimes I'm more tempted to stick a
1275 in the Miata, it sure sounds meaner.  There is
someone on our Spridget list getting near 300 HP out
of the Miata engine.  It's a way over built engine,
with a lot of room for power growth, early crankshaft
and 1999 thrust bearing issues aside (see? More
LBC-like than you'd think).

Now if we could get PA to come up with a Miata 6 speed conversion... >>