Re: Broken bracket for SPAX shock

To: Steven Michelsen <stevenm@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Broken bracket for SPAX shock
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 12:41:52 -0400 5.0; U)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Curious thing about your very clear photograph:  that bracket appears to have
been welded before.  I also believe that there should not be such force on that
bracket to break it either time, so I would also investigate the root cause.  My
guess would be that the shock is bottoming out and reaching the end of travel.
An incorrect top mount, and incorrect length shock, or a missing rebound bumper
could all contribute.

I used to have several of those brackets lying around, some still attached to
axles, before I cleaned out all my old Spridget parts last winter, but someone
else is sure to have one.  If you can't source one through the list, contact me
off list.

If you haven't noticed this as a problem, it's time to inspect all the shocks
for effectiveness.  Losing a shock on one side should raise all kinds of
handling problems.  While it could be driven, I would not trust the car in
situations that depend on possible evasive maneuvers.  Among other things, if
the shock length is indeed an issue, the other side is also suspect.