Re: First Cross Country Trip (in the dead of winter)

To: ROVER827@aol.com
Subject: Re: First Cross Country Trip (in the dead of winter)
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:05:05 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 ROVER827@aol.com wrote:

> Mark:

Bob - ever the contrarian - feels a need to respond! Imagine that!

[stuff deleted]

Please note that you _can_ find many parts at auto parts stores or you can
order them - Note that NAPA has listings for ignition systems for example.

But you left out an important spare ignition part - a spare rotor. I
suggest this because I have had rotors crack (and fail by subsequently
shorting out the high tension circuit) and I've also had the brass thingie
fall off with the slightest provocation.

I would also add to the tool set - a MasterCard with a good limit ($5000
is a nice round number) and a cell phone or pre-paid call card for the
occasional emergency roadside assistance requirement. Note: I used to
laugh at the joke about MC and cell phone. I don't laugh any more.

I'd also suggest that you be an active member with AAA (get AAA-Plus - 100
miles worth of towing for free! It might come in handy in the middle of
Nevada - things are _very far apart there_.)

> If not, then take with you the numbers for The Roadster Factory, Victoria
> Britsh and Moss, so that you could get any part you needed overnighted if you
> break down someplace.

Def. do this.

> When you say you are having the car checked out, that should also include the
> oil in the gearbox and differential, all other fluids, and the electrical
> system.
>
> For the first few tanks of gas, you should check the oil and coolant at every
> fillup so that you know how much the car is consuming. And it will consume
> much more heavily than a modern car. You also should pay very close attention
> to the gauges. TR6s are not great on the highway unless they have overdrive.

Frankly, with an older car - it's not a bad idea to check this stuff every
time you stop the car. I'm a firm believer of "better safe than sorry".
One other thing to check - look for "spotting" on the rear valence. This
is a sign of fluid leaks. If you see any spots - CHECK THEM OUT. Packing
in the differential due to drained oils is not fun!

As for TR6's not being great on the highway - I _totally_ disagree. I've
driven many, many miles in my TR6 on the highway, and the car is very
happy driving 70 - 80 MPH all day. I _still_ don't have an overdrive
installed - but the TR6 will do 3500 - 4000 all day without breaking a
sweat. To wit - Boston, MA - Ft. Worth, TX - Boston in 7 days, 12
hours. Over 4000 miles total driving distance - SOLO. No probs except I
drank a bit too much caffiene and couldn't sleep one night. Oh, and I
spent 4 of those days sitting in Ft. Worth at a VTR national.

TR6's are great on the highway. O/D makes them better, but O/D is not a
requirement.

> After a few hours on the road, you are going to be mighty uncomfortable.

Bzzzzzzt. Once you find the "zone" you'll have no problems.

> Richard Truett
> 1971 TR6
> 1980 TR7 Spider
> 1982 TR8

regards,
Bob "iron man" Lang
TR6's
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |