Re: [6pack] TR5 and TR250

To: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR5 and TR250
From: Tr6uo <tr6uo@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 11:02:14 -0800
Cc: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
I have to agree with Larry on this one. As I recall, the first attempts at
emissions control came in the form of PCV valves on '67 or '68 models sold in
California. I believe it was the most efficient way to detune the standard
spec for that limited market.

Steve Hollander
Sent from my iPad

On Jan 17, 2013, at 10:20 AM, Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com> wrote:

> Sorry, there is no fable here. If you read a bit of history, you will
> find that the first real standards on tailpipe emission occurred in
> 1968.  Here are a couple references, which state:
>
> "The first legislated exhaust (tailpipe)
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_system> emission standards were
> promulgated by the State of California for 1966 model year for cars sold
> in that state, followed by the United States as a whole in model year
> 1968. The standards were progressively tightened year by year, as
> mandated by the EPA."
>
> At that time, the auto makers only tool for reducing emissions was by
> detuning.  Catalytic converts came about in 1975 and helped to reduce
> the amount of detuning required.  Electronic engine controls helped even
> more.  Those that mention muscle cars should notice that they began to
> decline about this same time and were then totally killed by the 1973
> oil embargo.  It's too bad Triumph didn't adopt electronic fuel
> injection once it was perfected rather than continuing to detune, then
> the TR6 and TR7 wouldn't have been such dogs.
>
> references:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_emissions_control
> http://www.autolife.umd.umich.edu/Environment/E_Overview/E_Overview4.htm
>

> On 1/16/2013 7:27 AM, John Cyganowski wrote:
>> In my humble opinion, the emmissions thing is a fable that was published a
>> long time ago and has become accepted fact.  First, in 1967 there was no
EPA.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/cartravel@pobox.com