Re: No win= no run

To: washburn@dwave.net
Subject: Re: No win= no run
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 10:11:30 -0400
washburn wrote:

> Paul Foster wrote:
> > Where did you get that? I never said anything about myself. This entire
> > discussion has been the plight of the C4 Corvette. I have never owned a
> > Corvette.
>
> The underlying theme across the breadth of this terrible "plight" has
> been "If I can't win, I won't come".  If I have mis-read this clearly
> stated premise, than I guess my dish is mis-aligned.  Personally I love
> winning, and I really hate losing, but my love for the sport itself
> overrides all of that and I will keep coming for the real reasons.  This
> line of thinking, and the ensuing arguments that it props up just gets
> me.  It certainly doesn't bother me if they excercise their preference
> to stay home, C4 or whatever.

Well, to incinerate an already mutilated horse I respectfully disagree.
The underlying theme (at least to me) has been that if you build it they
will come. This has been shown with the Miatae in BS, the ACR Neons in
DS, and the Corvettes in BS and then in the early days of SS. When these
cars are no longer competitive (which I think is truly a shame), the
numbers drop. Speaking of which, is your Neon for sale yet? ;-)

> > But now that you mention it: No, I'd never go to Nationals if I didn't
> > think I could at least trophy. But that's just me...
>
> So I guess I was not that far off the mark after all.

Hey, that's just me. I made the pilgrimage already. I'm a competitive
guy. When I go back (well maybe if) it will be with the hopes of winning
a National Championship. Go ahead, you can laugh now. ;-)

Paul Foster