Re: No win= no run

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No win= no run
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:34:52 -0500
DG writes:

>"If I can't possibly ever win, then I'll eventually get
discouraged and stop
>coming" is probably more like it.

Consider the majority of Nationals entrants, and ask yourself -
honestly - how many of them entertain the notion that they have a
realistic chance of winning their class. If the above statement
were true, I submit that Nationals entries would be at far less
than half their present level.

>What we
>have to watch out for are (1)the people who show up and are
beaten so badly that
>they don't see how they could ever possibly win,

If it's their driving that's causing that, and they won't accept
that or listen to good advice (I've seen this happen many times,
BTW), there's not much anyone can do.

> or (2)the people who show up
>year after year, keep plugging away, and never get a fair shake.

Whose fault is that, if it really happens?

There's a mentality at work here which holds that, somehow,
automotive tastes and choices are hereditary, in the same way
that sex or race are. Using this faulty premise, it is alleged
that certain _people_ are being discriminated against as if they
can't change their mind about which car to own or how to prep it
for autox use. So, we wind up with concepts like "the Porsche
guys don't get a fair deal" as if they can't help it that they're
Porsche guys (come to think of it, maybe they can't ;<).

The car you autox is YOUR CHOICE. What you do to that car to make
it more (or less) suitable for autox use is YOUR CHOICE. Contrary
to the implications that have appeared frequently in this thread,
you're not biologically bound to your Vette or your 911 or
whatever.

Jay