Re: Why not "pro" cone chasers?

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: Why not "pro" cone chasers?
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 02:57:29 -0700

dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > So, if someone wants to do this, I suggest you ask around and see if
> > someone is willing to work for you. I bet it will be easy (though maybe
> > more than $5) to find someone. Everyone wins.
>
> ...somehow this doesn't sit well with me; it seems somehow... mercenary.

Yes, but since I am an industrial mercenary for hire, that does not
bother me. 8) It's free market at work.

> And I don't know if it's a message we want to send to newbies. "You don't have
> to work, but if you do, you'll learn stuff and get a discount off your next
> race" vs "You have to work, but if you pay someone to work for you that's OK"
>
> See what I mean?

Yes, I do. But, to me, listening to the first message, all *I* hear is
"you don't have to work"....  8) Where as the second message does not
have to be relayed to newbies. I have told a few folks to do this
locally and it seems to work out. Of course, that does not solve your
group of newbies coming in and not wanting to work. I just think that is
not easily fixed. I have also brought a new group of MR2 drivers
locally, that complained about the high costs of registration.

> And how do you handle this case: Driver X pays Driver Y to do his worker
>shift.
> Driver X goes home. Driver Y skips the shift, and keeps the money. Should
>Driver
> X be penalized for missing his shift? How would the Worker Chief even know?
>What
> kind of disciplinary action could be taken against Driver Y?

No. It is driver X's responsibility. You can not assign responsibility.
I will repeat, if someone does hire a worker, you have to be careful
about who you use, just like one does in business. Which is another
reason I feel better about doing this on an individual basis with people
I know, than bringing in some unknown students.

> My gut tells me that any scheme for allowing people to opt-out of working (or
> opt-in to working, depending how you look at it) has to be managed by the
>event
> organizers.

My gut tells me to eat lunch. 8) But, I also think that formally hiring
people is bringing in a whole bunch of problems, accounting and
liabilitywise. I applaud your willingness to think out of the box though
and consider alternatives. As I mentioned before, I do like the way SCCA
used to do ProSolo with an optional buyout of working. Then it was your
choice, but this would only work in an event with excess workers, and I
am guessing that is not normal at most events.

Randy Chase