Re: Appearance kits: sp legal?

To: "Kevin Daigle" <kevin@laol.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Appearance kits: sp legal?
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:54:43 -0500
Kevin Daigle wrote:

>  This rule is a weeee bit out of date. Lets see cars used to
have bumpers
>and you bought aftermarket airdam/spoilers which attached below
the bumper
>on your car.

Like Porsche 928s? Or Fieros? There have been cars with
plastic-covered bumbers going back at least 20 years now. And SP
appeared less than 20 years ago.

> Darn near no one makes
>airdams/spoilers which attach to these things, all the
aftermarket
>companies make replacement noses which have the airdam/spoiler
built into
>it.

What would you propose as a rewording that won't give me a
license to remove my metal bumper and replace it with a plastic
or fiberglass part.?

> So if you have an OLD car you can add an airdam and be legal,

See above. This is not a terribly new phenomenon.

>Same thing goes for under-driven pulley's
>almost all cars today have an integral pulley-dampener/balancer
in their
>car, so only people with OLD cars can use an under-driven pulley
and be legal.

I've seen cars dating back to the '60s with harmonic dampers
integral with their crankshaft pulleys. Again, this is not an
"old vs. new" situation. Some cars will benefit from the
allowance, others will not.

Jay